International student enrollment in UK universities
- The UK is the second most popular study destination worldwide. According to official international enrollment statistics, 458,490 foreign students were attending university in UK.
- As of 2017/18, international enrollment at UK universities expanded by 3.6% compared to the previous year.
- New enrollees share 54% (247,685) of the total international students in UK.
The most popular countries of origin for international students in UK
- China, India, US, Hong Kong and Malaysia are the top five most popular countries of origin for international students in UK.
- Altogether, students from these five countries equate to 38% of the total international enrollment in UK universities.
- China remains at the top as in 2017/18, a number of 106,530 Chinese students were enrolled at UK universities, followed by India (19,750).
- EU students share 30% of foreign students at UK universities. As of 2017/18, 139,150 EU students were enrolled at UK universities.
Top EU countries which send most international students to UK
- Italy, France, Germany, Spain and Greece are the most popular countries of origin for EU students enrolled at UK universities.
- As of 2017/18, 13,985 Italians were attending university in UK followed by France (13,660) and Germany (13,545).
- Of the total EU enrollment, first-year students accounted for 62,270 students, while 76,880 EU students were studying at higher years.
International Students Statistics By HE Provider
- By Higher Education Provider, England is the top popular choice for international students in UK.
- As of 2017/18, 377,140 foreign students were attending university in England, 54,235 in Scotland, 21,350 in Wales and 5,765 in Northern Ireland.
- English universities have reported for 108,335 EU students, Scotland (21,605), Wales (6,640) and Northern Ireland (2,565).
The most popular subjects for International students in UK
- The top five favourite degrees for international students in UK are: Business & Administrative studies, Engineering & Technology, Social Studies, Creative Arts and Design, Biological Sciences.
- Last year, 126,955 international students in UK were pursuing a degree in Business & Administrative studies, more than in any other subject.
- International enrollment in Computer Science courses has experienced the largest growth in UK universities. According to statistics, between 2016/17 and 2017/18, the international student population in these degrees increased by 13.8%, from 19,330 to 22,000.
International students in UK by academic level
- The majority of international students in UK are attending an undergraduate degree.
- Statistically, 56% (255,785) of all international students in UK are enrolled in an undergraduate course.
- A number of 104,555 of these students were first-year students, as opposed to 151,145 students who were studying at higher years.
- Postgraduate students, on the other hand, share 44% of the international student population in UK.
- Out of 202,785 international postgraduate students, 143,130 were first-year students while the remainder of 59,660 students was studying at higher years.
How much it costs to study in the UK
- UK universities are allowed to charge resident students up to £9,250, and at some universities, this may involve international students also
- Additionally, the UK visa regulation requires you to have at least £1,015 in your bank account monthly
- In Northern Ireland, you’d expect cheaper tuition fees. For example, as an EU student in an NI university, you will be paying £4,160 per an academic year.
- In general, at its minimum international students will have to pay £10,000 per year for their tuition fees, up to over £38,000.
- Costs of living in the UK are significantly higher, but you can save quite a lot by making the proper selection of your place of living. In London is more expensive than in a rural area and is more expensive in downtown areas than in a suburb neighborhood. Overall, your basic monthly expenses will be around £1,000 to £1,500.
Join 22,141 other students interested in studying in UK and get regular emails sent to your inbox with helpful articles about studying in UK, latest news and many scholarship opportunities...
Enter your personal email address below:
Your information is 100% safe and will not be shared with anyone else. You can unsubscribe with one click at any time.