The international students’ growth over the years
- The UK is the second most popular study destinations worldwide. Currently, it counts over a million international students (alongside with the US)
- In 2017, there were 5% more international enrollments compared to a year ago, and an increase of 4.1% compared to 2012/13
- As of 2016/17, 442,375 foreigners started studying in UK
What countries do international students in UK come from?
- Biggest international students distributors in the UK are China, India, Pakistani, Egypt, Nigeria, Malaysia.
- Chinese students shared slightly over 21% (95,090) of the total enrollments in British universities as of 2016/17
- The second most enrolled international students in 2016/17 were US students with 17,580 enrollments
- European students counted to 78,405 enrollments in 2016/17
Top EU countries that send the most international students to UK
- EU students are one of the largest portions of international students in the UK
- EU countries which send the highest number of students to study in the UK are Germany, France and Italy
- According to the official statistics, in 2016/17, 13,735 German students started their degree in a UK university
- With 6,585 students sent to study, Bulgaria shared the smallest number of EU students enrolled in the UK in 2016/17
Which British country they study most
- 363,585 students out of 442,375 international students enrolled in 2016/17 were studying in an English university
- 52,290 international students enrolled in 2016/17 chose a Scottish university
- Wales counted for 21,206 international students enrolled in 2016/17
- Only, 5,290 of international students enrolled in 2016/17 were studying in Northern Ireland
Most popular study subjects by international students
- British Business Schools remain the most desired universities for international schools in UK
- In 2016/17, 121,675 international scholars started their business degree
- Engineering and Technology was the second most preferred study subject for foreigners with 52,545 international students enrolling such degree course
- During 2016/17 academic year, only 1,264 foreign students chose a Veterinary Science study program, the least most preferred study fields of international students
Common degree level international students study in UK
- The majority of international students in the UK seek a First degree
- According to the statistics, 236,090 international students in 2016/17 enrolled in a First degree
- 149,760 international students started their Postgraduate (taught) degree
- Whereas 47,395 international students enrolled a Postgraduate (research) course and 17,420 enrolled other undergraduate courses
How much it costs to study in the UK
- UK universities are allowed to charge resident students up to £9,250, and at some universities, this may involve international students also
- Additionally, the UK visa regulation requires you to have at least £1,015 in your bank account monthly
- In Northern Ireland, you’d expect cheaper tuition fees. For example, as an EU student in an NI university, you will be paying £4,160 per an academic year.
- In general, at its minimum international students will have to pay £10,000 per year for their tuition fees, up to over £38,000.
- Costs of living in the UK are significantly higher, but you can save quite a lot by making the proper selection of your place of living. In London is more expensive than in a rural area and is more expensive in downtown areas than in a suburb neighborhood. Overall, your basic monthly expenses will be around £1,000 to £1,500.
Join 22,141 other students interested in studying in UK and get regular emails sent to your inbox with helpful articles about studying in UK, latest news and many scholarship opportunities...
Enter your personal email address below:
Your information is 100% safe and will not be shared with anyone else. You can unsubscribe with one click at any time.